Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2000 12:03:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>, Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>, Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>, stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: 3.x -> 4.0-STABLE upgrade instructions

On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> I still think we should be recommending people use 'make buildkernel' to
> build GENERIC and minimize the possibility of foot-shooting from a stupid
> config file which then gets blamed on 4.0 itself.

	I strongly agree with this. These messages are already showing
up. I think that most of the -current developers have forgotten just how
much different the 4.0 kernel config file is from the 3.x branch.

	Also, I'd like to suggest modifying 'installkernel' to install the
kernel it builds as /kernel, rather than as /${KERNEL} (which usually
means /GENERIC). This bit me the first time, and even though it's harmless
not everyone is saavy enough to know how to boot a specific kernel, or
even to know where to look.

Doug
--
"While the future's there for anyone to change, still you know it seems,
 it would be easier sometimes to change the past"

     - Jackson Browne, "Fountain of Sorrow"